Two years ago, I got my mom a wooden little piggy cutting board. She has a thing for pigs. We have this little four inch tall statue of three pigs stacked on top of each other and another little clay sculpture of a pig that either my mom or sister made when they were little. And now we also have this little piggy cutting board that the smoothie is on top of in the picture. I thought it was cute and went along with her little piggy theme. But now we use it to display salami and cheese on when guests come over. Kind of weird, but that’s neither here nor there.
I make this smoothie in the morning as my post workout meal.
- The maca gives me energy and balances my hormones (because I could really use some balance in my life).
- The banana gives me the potassium and sugars I need for muscle repair and energy.
- Freshly ground flax meal provides me of my omega-3s (because, ew, fish).
- Cacao has ample magnesium and slight amounts of caffeine that can temporarily ward off my coffee addiction.
- Brazil nuts give me the selenium that I probably wouldn’t get from really anything else in my diet. Plus, selenium protects against cell damage and acts as an antioxidant.
*See the little piggy? You won’t feel like a pig after drinking this smoothie!
Side note: you can grind the cacao and flax seeds in a coffee grinder before throwing it into the blender.
One more side note: you can replace the coconut water for cold brew coffee if you’re feeling extra sassy!
Banana Cacao Post Workout Smoothie
Blend together the following ingredients in a blender for a single serving.
10 ounces coconut water
1 tablespoon ground cacao
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1/2 tablespoon maca
1-2 brazil nuts
2 pitted dates
1 tablespoon almond butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon