As those of you who follow me on Instagram know, I have had an excess of zucchini and tomatoes from my community service that I really needed to use. Last night, I finally used up my surplus of veggies by inviting my friends over for a big dinner! The result was a zucchini pasta with homemade pasta sauce. The homemade pasta sauce might sound a little intimidating, but it’s actually way more simple than you would imagine and your friends will be thoroughly impressed when you tell them that the sauce is homemade!
Plus… Only 277 calories per serving!! Indulge in this pasta dish this weekend without losing sight of your health and fitness goals!
Zucchini pasta with homemade tomato sauce
1 pint of grape tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup sliced yellow onion
2 zucchini, cut into thin, bite sized pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1 inch strips
1/4 shredded white cheddar cheese
2 servings (depending on the pasta shape you use, the amount will change) of whole wheat pasta
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. On a cookie sheet, combine the container of tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of dried basil, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 2 minced garlic cloves and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Toss the ingredients together with your hands and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
3. While the tomatoes cook, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon olive oil to a pan and turn the heat to medium. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 3 minutes, add the zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of dried basil and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and stir until everything is evenly combined. Cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Put the zucchini mixture into a large bowl when finished cooking.
5. Fill a pot halfway with water and put it on the stove at medium high heat until it starts to boil. Add the pasta and cook for as long as the packaging for the pasta says.
6. Add the tomatoes to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the sauce to the zucchini mixture along with the cooked pasta and shredded cheese. Toss to combine and serve!
This is definitely more of a decadent meal than I usually post, but it’s okay to have a rich meal every now and then. One meal won’t make you fat or unhealthy so as long as you are doing well the majority of the time. Treat yourself every once in a while! You deserve it! Plus, this meal is definitely still nutritious because of the vegetables, fresh homemade sauce and whole wheat pasta.
If you’re looking for some sassy reads while you enjoy this meal, go to http://www.franklyfink.com ! My friend Jenni writes her current hates and obsessions… Definitely a must read if you have a cards against humanity type of humor!
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as all my friends and I did!