I grew up eating a lot of Mexican food. Like, a lot. Being from LA, we have Mexican restaurants on nearly every street and you grow up loving it. Sometimes, a big fatty burrito sounds way better than a skinny little salad. And when you have that craving, it won’t go away until you get one. I came up with a healthier burrito that will satisfy your craving but will still keep you on top of your health and fitness goals.
Mexican Burrito Made Healthy
1 large flour tortilla
1/4 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup black beans
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 cup chopped zucchini
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons of your favorite guacamole
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a pan, add the olive oil and heat to medium. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for one minute. Add the zucchini and bell pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the corn and cook for one more minute. Add in the beans, rice, chili powder and salt and combine everything while cooking for one more minute. Take off of the heat.
3. Lay your flour tortilla down into a casserole dish. Add the veggie mixture into the middle of the tortilla and roll it into a burrito (there are YouTube videos online that help you with this).
4. Put the burrito in the dish seam side down. Pour the enchilada sauce on top and bake for 10 minutes. (If you don’t like wet burritos, then you can put it in the oven without the sauce)
5. Once out of the oven, transfer it to a plate and add the guacamole.
Try it out and let me know if it satisfies your Mexican food cravings!