I created this smoothie 100% on accident. I’m going to quote my friend, Hattie, here: “I get really creative when I have limited groceries left”. Sometimes great things can happen when you have to get a little creative. I made this smoothie to help me last through my lunch time classes all the way to dinner. It did the trick! It’s loaded with protein from the chia, hemp and flax seeds. Plus, there’s tons of fiber from all the seeds, banana and strawberries to keep you full for hours. It’s got the great flavor of a strawberry banana smoothie that you’re used to with the extra benefits of keeping you full longer.
Bottom line: Make it. Your taste buds will be happy and your belly will be pleasantly full.
Protein packed banana strawberry smoothie
10 oz coconut water
4 strawberries (can be frozen or fresh)
2 dates, pitted
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon cacao nibs
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons hemp seeds
2 teaspoons coconut butter
1. Add 2 teaspoons hot water to a small container holding the chia seeds. Allow this to gelatinize while you put together the rest of the smoothie.
2. In a coffee grinder, combine the cacao nibs and flax seeds. Blend until it forms a fine powder.
3. Combine all of the ingredients (including the powder created in step 2 and the gelatinized chia seeds) and blend for 2 minutes or until there are no more chunks.
Posted in Recipes
- Tagged banana, Clean, clean eats, clean recipe, fit, fitfam, fitness, gluten free, health, Healthy, post workout, pre workout, protein, recipe, smoothie, strawberry, vegan, vegetarian, workout
I have a major obsession with acai bowls… Along with everyone else in LA. You can get acai bowls pretty much anywhere now. What sucks is that you think you’re eating a healthy treat that won’t make you feel guilty, but in reality, there’s a ton of added sugar to make you keep coming back for more.
Kind of like the frozen yogurt phase. Everyone believed that since it was yogurt, it’s okay to eat! But always take a look at those sneaky added ingredients… They’ll get ya.
So really with the acai berry bowl, you’re just eating semi frozen guilt with fruit on top.
Plus, most places charge upwards of $6 per bowl for your sugary little monster!
What to do in a world filled with a new craving for acai bowls?
Easy. MUNCH THIS.
This recipe is great for breakfast or lunch. Very filling, so don’t really expect to need anything else after eating this!
“Chocolate” crunch acai berry bowl
1 acai packet (you can find these in the freezer section of Whole Foods)
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 banana, separate into half
2 tablespoons frozen blueberries
2 frozen strawberries
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
3 fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
1/4 cup granola (preferably one not filled with added sugar)
2 teaspoons cacao nibs
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1. Blend the acai, almond milk, 1/2 banana, and frozen fruit until smooth. Pour into a bowl.
2. First add the granola to the top of the acai mixture, then sprinkle the blueberries and strawberries. Slice the second half of the banana and add that on top as well. Sprinkle the cacao all over. If you want, drizzle the honey over last.
Posted in Recipes
- Tagged acai, banana, blueberry, cacao, Clean, eat well, fit, fitfam, fitness, fruit, health, low calorie, nutrition, recipe, strawberry, wat clean, weight loss